1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Flew overseas with my kids, volunteered at my oldest child’s school. I also went through many appointments with MRI, audiologists,EKGs, etc. for my youngest who has a hearing loss in one ear, that is not something I imagined I would ever be doing, but it is what it is and we just keep our chin up and trust God
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t remember making a resolution if anything it was to eat better and exercise, but that didn’t work out, because if it had, I wouldn’t still be working on it 🙂 I decided resolutions aren’t for me- I’m too type A to set my self up to fail so easily and quickly, so no resolutions any year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister in law had a son in April
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I lost my grandparents who raised me, within 11 days of each other in May. My grandmother was a total shock, my grandfather started to shut down the beginning of last year and I wasn’t ready- but I guess we never are. I missed him so much this morning in church, I had tears in my eyes before communion. I have not felt anchored since May and don’t know that I ever will again. Then I lost my cat of 11 years while I was on vacation this summer, she was my first pet with my husband.
5. What countries did you visit?
Bermuda & various states here in the USA
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Energy. I am so tired all the time and have been for months. I feel out of it sometimes and like time is going so fast. I want to savor more this year.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 1st- I was in NJ for the weekend, my grandfather was not doing well in the hospital, but my grandmother told me to go and enjoy myself and my friends, and I got a message after an amazing afternoon, telling me my grandfather was moved home for hospice- I felt so trapped and so guilty for going away, I also felt overwhelmed trying to get sitters for my kids from another state. Then May 15th. I was busy at work,busy planning a memorial for my grandfather and didn’t answer the call from the rehab my grandmother was at, 1st time in probably 10 years I didn’t talk to her, I planned on going to see her the next day. She passed on May 15th, I remember it because I was scheduled to do a childrens chat at church and my youngest was getting a milestone, I just couldn’t do it. August 25th, my birthday and spa day in bermuda with my bestie and she arranged for several old friends to spend the afternoon with me. August 28th feeling the power of nature and weather and beauty in Dockyard in Bermuda. August 30th, I was swimming with my kids in Bermuda and hand feeding fish, it was the most amazing thing I ever experienced. Mother’s Day, I left work early and was able to go and sit and laugh and talk with my grandmother in the hospital, it was a blessing I never saw coming. September 8th my husband had surgery to replace his leads in his pacemaker, I was so scared, afraid for him, afraid of loss again, afraid of surgery and God blessed us with a successful surgery.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Picking myself up and going on after losing my grandparents. And 52 books in less than 52 weeks.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Maybe not talking to my grandmother her last day here. Not sticking with exercise, not being able to stop senseless worry.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Plantar Facistis acted up again, some colds, but otherwise nothing. Thanks to God.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our new camera maybe and my daily calendar
12. Where did most of your money go?
Vacation, food, stuff for the kids- the usual
13. What did you get really excited about?
My trip to Bermuda, New Year’s with my friends, Thanksgiving dinner, monthly magazines, new books.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? sadder, there is a still such a hurt loss in my heart
– thinner or fatter? thinner, but not by much
– richer or poorer? richer I think, because my hubs is now in charge of the finances- he did go to school for finance!!
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Relaxing, playing with my kids, enjoying the beach, being with my grandparents, being outside, being creative
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Facebook time, worrying
18. How did you spend Christmas?
I went to teach my Sunday School class after we did presents. Then we went to see my dad later in the afternoon, I think my kids had a really good Christmas
19. What was your favorite TV program?
House, Downton Abbey
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Help, The Walk- there were so many.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Whatever, not much into listening other than in the car, if I can be cheesy, I’d say those Disney channel show songs since I hear them so much
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Is that bad, that all the movies I can think of were from way long ago? Long Goldmember or Shrek- I’m drawing a blank
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
35 and I went to the spa, with my friend, and she had a happy hour for me with some old friends, I also got to spend hours chatting with her one of our favorite things to do in the world
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If I could have lost some more weight
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Dressing a little nicer than 2010- the year of my tees and mom yoga pants, I tried to dress it up a little and be a bit more into fashion again
26. What kept you sane?
My faith, prayer and my husband- he’s good like that
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Memories help when you lose someone but there will always be a gaping hole in your heart from the loss..